Sunday, June 13, 2010

Would you RELAX and go for a run!?

I first want to say "sorry" for not updating the blog during this past week. I'm still in college and it was finals week. While I may not have had time to provide something to read, my thoughts on the sport I love haven't ceased. I'll share a bit of my feelings on mixing running and an extremely busy schedule which for most of us, is more commonly called, "life."

My life consists of a few things: during this time in my life it has primarily been class. I'm finishing up my undergrad career as a pre-medicine student and am aspiring to become a physician. A majority of my life these past four years has consisted of chemistry, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, biochemistry, biology, physics, and a mezclado of various other intense science courses which require a majority of my time. It's been these years, classes, and resultant schedule which as taught me about the many facets of running.

While I enjoy working towards particular goals/races in my running career, running has served a far greater therapeutic purpose in my college career than anything else. More often than not, my runs throughout college have not involved watches, pace calculators and mile split sheets. My runs have often served as my 'off switch' for an hour a day.

It's during times like this past week and significant deadlines that a relaxing run is what 'hits the spot' for me. When I spend most the day thinking about rotational kinetics, electronegativity, thermodynamics and enzymatic rates, there is almost nothing more relaxing to me than to lace up my Asics and go for a foot-tour of the city.

While many people consider running to be a form of cruel and unusual punishment, it's my ultimate form of stress release.

Running; you've been a great friend through the years. I'm looking forward to a lifetime together.

Your friend,
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment