Friday, June 4, 2010

Ooooo that's hot. Running in the heat.

Workout:
6 miles time: wasn't timed. (it became more a game of survival)



As the summer season swiftly approaches and the temperatures rise, I'm reminded of the biggest challenge to training through the summer for fall races; the heat. Before my run today, I had played 2 hours of tennis. Needless to say, I was tired before taking my first stride of today's workout. It was 87 degrees and a humidity percentage of about the same.

In the next few paragraphs, I want to share some of the lessons and thoughts I've learned and thought during today and past summers of running.

First things first. While you're most likely thinking about the integrity of your workout, your breathing, and if you've taken in enough fluids throughout the day, you also need to think about your skin. Sunscreen is CRUCIAL, especially on longer runs. Don't skimp out on this. A hat isn't a bad idea either.

Next, running in the heat often requires you to make a lot of adjustments.

1)Shade is your friend. While it is always recommended that you run on the left side of the road, when it's 90 degrees (like today), run on whichever side of the street offers the most shade. Early on in your run, your body temperature is initially much lower than it is as you're making that final turn into your neighborhood. Think about your planned route for the day. Is there a stretch that's notoriously shade-covered (bike paths usually have ample amounts of trees)? Is there a stretch or straightaway (often on roads connecting towns or different parts of a city) that doesn't have a tree anywhere in sight? Take all of this into account. Plan your run so that you have more shade later in the run.

2)A headwind later in the run is best. Check the weather and determine the wind direction. A nice breeze in your face for the later miles is a good way to stay cool despite the heat.

3)The early bird is way cooler. The best time of the day to beat the heat during the summer months is EARLY. Preferably before 8, ideally before the sun is up. I've made the mistake many times of thinking it will cool down later in the day. I then head out around 6 or 7 in the evening to realize that the only thing 'cool' about running at this time is the extra hours of sleep I had that morning. The sun heats up those roads all day, they're still hot in the evening. Get out there early in the morning. Besides, it's the best way to start your day!

4)Hydrating early and often is a must. In the event that you have no choice other than to run in the afternoon or evening, be sure to be hydrated throughout the day. There is a noticeable difference between chugging a couple glasses of water right before heading out on the road, and deliberately taking in ample fluids throughout the day.

5)Be smart, be wise, take the day off. Something that I've learned in my 11 years of distance running is that sometimes the wisest decision is to admit that you're only human. I used to hold the mindset that no matter what, I WOULD get my workout in. That mentality often brought me injury and unnecessary stress. If it's too hot to go running, it's too hot. It's not the end of the world, just get back out there the next day and continue on. It's better to take a day or two off during a heat wave than it is to run the risk of injury (heat stroke) during a relatively nominal workout (there's no ONE day of training that is going to make or break your chances of reaching your running/racing goal.)


So stay cool, be smart, enjoy your run, or a day off spent at the beach or pool.

1 comment:

  1. Ads, this is great, I feel like I am along for the run. That is really good like on a day like today where I only ran 1 mile as I had this horrific presentation to work on and I just needed to get going on it. It also was really hot! I'm looking forward to reading this each day.

    ReplyDelete