Thursday, June 3, 2010

A runner's rhythm.

Today's workout:

8.3 miles. 50 minutes. 6:01 pace.



Today was just a fun run. That is, there were no intervals, no repeats, only settling into a good pace and finding your groove.

As I turned onto Northwest Boulevard in Upper Arlington something happened that reminded me why it is that I enjoy distance running. I was nearing 4 1/2 miles and I found my "rhythm". It's at this point in the run where you no longer have that feeling of getting into your car in the winter and desperately waiting for the heater to finally kick in. Instead, this is the feeling of getting walking into an air-conditioned room in late August. These are the times when it almost feels as though my legs separate from the rest of me. My legs go on autopilot and I'm merely along for the ride.

I'm cruisin'.

When I've reached this point I then take time to pay attention to my surroundings. A couple high school-aged kids walking down the street in the middle of the day. Hmmm? Aren't you supposed to be in class? A middle-aged mom jogging down the street with a stroller. Good for you! The business man standing outside of Caribou Coffee waiting for whoever it is he's meeting. Yes, put that phone to your ear so it doesn't look too awkward while you're waiting.
All of this happening while I enjoy a workout.

Soon the run is over and I'm in the shower going over in my mind everything that has get done today. But I'm still carrying that rhythm. I'm ready to tackle the day.

It's a great day to be a runner.

1 comment: