Monday, June 7, 2010

Intervals. Sunday, June 7, 2010

Distance: 6.2 miles
Time: 36 minutes
Pace: 5:48

While I did not have a chance to write a post yesterday, I have a few minutes now to hopefully recall the keys to what was an excellent workout.

As I set out for a run towards downtown through two of my favorite neighborhoods, Victorian Village and the Short North, I started easy for the first mile. This first mile was, as I have mentioned in previous posts, my time to get my muscles loosened and warmed up. With the next 1/2 mile I picked up the pace to something a little more comfortable.

For a side note: let me explain the mental scale I apply to my workouts. This will help explain what I mean when I say a 'comfortable pace' or a 'race pace.' I gauge my runs on a scale of 1-10.

-------------------------------------------------------------

1 - practically a walk. I'm hardly breathing.
2 - "
3 - I'd be willing to call this a 'jog.'
4
5 - The heart rate is starting to increase and I'm feeling what resembles actual aerobic exercise.
6 - Now it starts to get a bit more intense.
7 -
8 - At this point, talking is limited.
9 - A controlled, sustainable, sprint. I'm in a serious workout. After a mile or two, I'm ready to puke.
10 - Sprint for the finish. There's nothing left after a few minutes of running at this pace.

-------------------------------------------------------------

So for the next 1/2 mile after my 1-mile warm up, I brought the pace to a 5.

I maintained this till I reached 12th avenue on campus. As I turned onto Neil Avenue (my favorite street to run in the city), I began my first interval. But first, what are intervals?

Also referred to as 'fartleks', intervals are periods of high intensity running integrated into an otherwise moderate-intensity run. My intervals usually consist of 1 miles of intense (8 or 9) running followed by a 1/4-1/2 mile recovery period of running at a 4 or 5. I then begin the next 1-mile segment of intense running. I'll repeat this pattern for the remainder of the workout. Today's entire workout was devoted to this pattern.

I began my interval and continued at this level (roughly a 5:15-5:20 min/mile pace) for one mile till I was nearly downtown. I then made the quarter mile transition over to high street and headed back north. If you happen to see me during these workouts, don't expect much more than a 'hi' or simple nod. I passed my friend, Carol, on the street and didn't offer more than a slight wave and 'how's it going?'. But it's alright, Carol is a fellow marathoner who, as should be noted, qualified for the Boston Marathon this past fall during the Columbus Marathon. Congrats, Carol!

I finished strong into my apartment complex's parking lot.

Great workout. Great pace. I'm looking forward to many more of these this summer.

1 comment:

  1. Hey ads, am enjoying reading. Am wondering if the last picture in the series will be what these shoes look like once they are shot?

    mom

    ReplyDelete